I love gardening! I love planting a dried out seed and watching it grow. I am like a little child on Christmas Eve, anxiously awaiting the morning to run down to the tree and see what presents they received from Santa. Only it's not Christmas, and the presents are little green heads popping out of the moist dirt to say hello to the warm sun.
This year I wanted to plant an entire garden because last year I had tomatoes shoved into a pot, that was the extent of my garden. I asked our landlords where I could plant on the mass of land that there is. I was directed to the garden just outside their home.
At first I was mad because the dirt is crap and it wasn't what I had pictured in my head. Then I realized it was all I had, and since the weeds grow like crazy out there then my plants might actually have some luck. I bought my seeds and couldn't wait to get started. I soaked the dirt so that it would be easy to maneuver. Bad idea! I stepped into the dirt which I figured would be a little muddy, and sunk up to my knees!!! This made for an interesting experience. I got tired of trying to dig myself out of the mud so I just started planting Zucchini where ever I had made a footprint. Then wherever I could find dry land. I would dig and inch then cover it back up with dry dirt and planned to water them later. I did this with my pees and tomatoes too. There wasn't much of a system at this point because I was COVERED in mud!
I watered what I had done and waited for it to grow. My mom came and visited me and was shocked at my garden. Why was she shocked you ask? Well because evidently when you plant an entire package of Zucchini seeds you are looking at well, a LOAD of Zucchini. I was then told that 2 or 3 plants would have been Plenty for Nels and me, along with some to give away. Well I have now over 20 plants growing. At last count there were 23, but the magically keep popping up. I have a billion and a half snap pee plants and more tomato plants than I can count. I also planted mint in a Terra cota pot and that is growing beautifully.
Oh and I was making a watermelon slushy and decided that maybe since I have to seed the entire watermelon before blending that I might as well see if the seeds would grow. I remember everyone always being so shocked when they found a watermelon growing in their garden because someone spit a seed. I thought it was a rare thing that happened. I gave my watermelon seeds a chance and now I have probably 50 plants all growing right now!!!
If you are bored of reading then here are the pictures of MY garden!!!
Oh man! That's awesome! I wanted a garden so bad this year but we won't be moving into our house until the end of June. I guess it will be a little to late! You need to share with me all your secrets of gardening. I know what you speak of though because I had a class once I had to grow a plant for and it was like my own little child! I would check on it constantly, talk to it, and make sure it got the proper amount of water and sunlight that was needed! :)
ReplyDelete